Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Theology Mashup

I've been thinking a lot about theology lately. I'm taking two graduate courses for my Master's Degree, meeting some really good folks who are doing crazy things for the Kingdom and reading tons of twitter/blog/facebook articles.

But here is the problem. There is a lot of it floating around out there.

It doesn't help that in 2 weeks I'm going to be standing front of several hundred people speaking about the theology I believe in and how I think it should be playing out in our churches.

Suffice it to say, I am FREAKING OUT about it.

Here's what crossed my desk this week, let me know what you think...

Mark Driscoll: I am not a huge fan of this guy...probably because I'm a woman in leadership. I do appreciate what I understand his heart to be, however this week a Youtube clip went viral with one of his sermons. I wanted to link to it here, but I'm guessing his church yanked it down. Here is the gist of it. (a direct quote):

Some of you, God hates you. Some of you, God is sick of you. God is frustrated with you. God is wearied by you. God has suffered long enough with you. He doesn’t think you’re cute. He doesn’t think it’s funny. He doesn’t think your excuse is “meritous” [the word he's looking for there is "meritorious]. He doesn’t care if you compare yourself to someone worse than you, He hates them too. God hates, right now, personally, objectively hates some of you.

Brene Brown's take on grace:



My personal favorite of the week mostly cause it echoes my heart




A glimpse into Brennan Manning, author of a Ragamuffin Gospel




That's is about 1/100th of what I read/watched this week. I don't know whether to be thankful that there is so much out there or terrified.

5 comments:

julie anna said...

To be fair, Mark Driscoll has also said, “The problem with our churches today is that the lead pastor is some sissy boy who wears cardigan sweaters, has The Carpenters dialed in on his iPod, gets his hair cut at a salon instead of a barber shop, hasn’t been to an Ultimate Fighting match, works out on an elliptical machine instead of going to isolated regions of Russia like in Rocky IV in order to harvest lumber with his teeth, and generally swishes around like Jack from Three’s Company whenever Mr. Roper was around.”

I have long since stopped giving this man's bigoted, bullying ways the time of day.

For more examples, see http://rachelheldevans.com/mark-driscoll-bully

(As I write this, I realize you probably know this already, but I seriously just can't take the vast majority of the things that man has to say.)

julie anna said...

Also, when are you speaking? Is this something that is open to others to come see? Because I'd love to hear what you're finding out.

And I probably should have led with this, instead of an attack against one of the people you mentioned in your blog. Sorry 'bout that.

Nadia said...

Julie, I agree 100% with you about Mark Driscoll...or maybe like 500%! I'm a big fan of Rachel Evans and do follow her blog. It's super fun since a lot of my friends are Mark Driscoll fans, but I think are now even getting embarrassed at what he is saying!

I'm speaking in Banff, so not so accessible. However, I've had to start a blog for work and will probably start writing a lot of my thoughts on that...or on here, who knows???

I loved both your comments! Never apologize for that! See you Monday.

ACJ said...

I am no help to you because I only bothering listening to and reading people who agree with me. I even skip Jesus when he makes me uncomfortable, if we're going to be all honest.

But I know this - you explaining theology is good for the world and I'm glad someone had the good sense to ask you.

Quiet Monster said...

I can't believe that I never heard of Mark Driscoll. How can he say those things-how arrogant of him to think he know how God feels! I must learn more about this guy-he pees me off. Thanks for the link Julie Anna:)

I hope you can record your talk-I would love to hear you speak! ACJ said it best!