Thursday, January 21, 2010

A mother's love

In this dark days of winter, it is good to reflect on the joys of being a mother and the ways that I am striving to love my girls well...

  • I sleep on less than 6 inches of bed when one of the girls comes to me in the middle of the night with a "bad dream"
  • I strap on ice skates to be with Pookie as she tries to skate during a school trip
  • I watch countless shows about Disney Princesses
  • I defer to Pookie's superior fashion sense when it comes to getting dressed in the morning
  • I wear pink
  • I sit through hours of gymnastics classes, church activities and birthday parties so that the girls are comfortable in going
  • I allow forts to be built willy nilly around my house
  • I pull out paints 15 mins before dinner so that an art show can happen
  • I organize playdates...which I think are the most ridiculous things ever!
  • I plant gardens with them

Those are my thoughts on this dark January day....new post on a book I just read here....

4 comments:

kelly ens said...

hehe :)
most curious to know why you think playdates are ridiculous :)

Nadia said...

Kelly, I think the whole idea is kinda silly in terms of the fact that I never had organized play time. My mom never whipped out her calendar and tried to match dates with another mom. I also would rather have the mom come over for coffee while our kids played. Just the name drives me crazy I guess...every thing seems to planned cause everyone got a billion things to do. (there is my rant!)

Jared Patterson said...

isn't the craziness fun?!? Your girls are absolutely stunning! We've talked lots about living the same life, but I've never seen a picutre...they're truly amazing. Just for fun, and not to compare, but, my 2 year old got frustrated today that his youtube video (i know) had ended and ripped out the antenna on the wireless receiver. What else can we do but laugh? The weird thing is, it seems to move me to love them even deeper. What's a warm day in January like? Lol.

Nadia said...

Jared,

Kids will both bring out the best and worst in us! A warm day January??? It is not such a struggle on a bright day in January to find joy...it is the dark days where I need to list all the good stuff to keep me going! Enjoy being back with your baby boys!