Monday, October 22, 2007

Egg on my face

This past Saturday, we did the unthinkable. We double booked ourselves at two events across town from each other. With two toddlers. Actually, we were double booked beyond our control. We had an BBQ for Papabear's current job and a dessert night for our former ministry job. So, at 5pm, we were at a westside house, having a pool party and BBQ. It was great to reconnect with the summer staff and enjoy a meal together, but 6:45pm came really fast and we jumped into the van to head back to the eastside for our dessert night. Papabear got a work call on his cell as we began the trip, so I was driving, he was talking and the girls were safely strapped into their car seats, playing. So we thought. I vaguely heard Pookie saying something about Bear and a egg, but just dismissed it as random talking. She said it again and I again thought she was talking about a toy egg. Then Pookie yelled, "She is squishing the eggs!". I flipped on the interior lights to see a grinning Bear with an egg in each hand, crushing the oh so real egg to bits. In her car seat. All over herself. Why did I have real eggs in the car? It's a good question. The simple answer is that I'm a youth pastor and often random things are left in my van with0ut me realizing it. The eggs had been left on the floor of the van in a basket. Pookie had snagged the basket with her toes and pulled it up to the seat between the car seats. Bear grabbed the carton of eggs and proceeded to test the durability of eggshells. Papabear is still talking to work, despite my death glares at him, so I pulled over and grabbed as many wipes to clean up Bear. Pookie was laughing like a maniac, saying "I told you she had eggs!!"



The thing is, I really couldn't get mad at either of them. Pookie had told me that Bear had eggs, I just didn't believe her. And Bear? It was just the thing a two year old would do. Plus, what kind of mama leaves eggs in her van for curious kids to play with?



We made it to our dessert night a little late (and eggy). We enjoyed seeing how the ministry we helped start 10 years ago, is doing now, and we had some great dessert. Toddlers and all.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HA!!! although.. ahem... i'm sure it wasn't funny at the time....

kelly ens said...

oh my gosh! funny, yet So not funny!!! :)