Thursday, January 3, 2008

All you can eat buffet...

When I lived in Camden, NJ, I experienced the truly American dining experience of the All You Can Eat Buffet. Being a west coast Canadian, I thought such places were an urban myth, since we have no such thing here. So, when I entered the restaurant with 20 teenagers, I was impressed by the selection. And terrified. Could I really eat enough to make it worthwhile? (no) How fresh was the food really? (not very) Was there any healthy options? (only if you consider limp lettuce and shredded carrots healthy) Needless to say, it was quite the trip and I can see why, perhaps, the USA has a high obesity rate.
Right now, Pookie and Bear are treating me and my fridge as short order cooks. Randomly throughout the day I hear calls for cheese! yogurt! cookies! pancakes! Yesterday, as my house was taken over by renovations and we could barely breathe with paint fumes and sanding, the girls took it to a new level. Every 5 mins. was a new demand. Especially from Bear, who must be going through a freakish massive growth spurt. It reminded me of my bar tending days without the gross drunk guys and piles of tip money. Just demands after demands for food. I realize that I am growing strong, beautiful, Amazon children, but this is ridiculous! Finally, I just made a huge plate of raw veggies, cheese, crackers and dried cranberries...placed it between the 2 of them and let them go at it. Why fight it? It is our own all you can eat buffet.

No comments: