Friday, April 4, 2008

Night Hike

I just got back from an amazing night hike with some of my youth. We headed up to the North Shore's Deep Cove and ended up on this great lookout that overlooked the river and city. The best part of this hike was that it was fully organized by one of my youth.

I've been teaching my youth that we are all uniquely wired to interact, encounter and worship God. Which is why Sunday mornings in a pew don't always float some peoples' boat...you aren't wired to worship that way. Luke is wired to engage God in nature. His mom is the same way and actually inspired a doctoral thesis which turned into a book called 'What's your God language'. The first Friday night of every month has been an exploration of worshipping in different ways. We've done prayer and quiet reflections, singing, playing crazy games and sharing a feast around a table. It has been so encouraging to see these teenagers try and figure out where they encounter God and how to incorporate that into their lives. The last 2 Fridays have been run by youth that are excited to share with the others how they see God. Luke had planned the hike, found verses that he shared along the hike and just taught us how he walks and how he sees God in creation. For some inner city teenagers, that is some good stuff!

I love my job.

FYI: For those that know the saga of the Achilles...it did pretty good on the hike. Feel strong and stable.
My lungs, however, begged to be torn out of my chest and laid to rest on the side of the trail!

No comments: