Monday, January 12, 2009

Crockpot madness...life in the 'burbs - part 2

When we first got married, Hubby and I got a huge crock pot as a wedding gift.  I came from a non crock pot kind of family, so I had no idea what to do with it.  (plus any meal you would cook in there would feed 50 people!)  Eventually we gave it away to a ministry that made soup for homeless folk.  

Then we moved to the 'burbs and I needed to become more creative with meal making.  We got a 1970's crock pot from the local thrift store for $2.  Then my parents showed up with a 'super' crock pot that has a countdown timer and 3 different heat settings on Thursday. (also for $2, thrift stores in the 'burbs are great!)  So Saturday I made beef barley soup. Shockingly, the girls loved the soup.  I thought it a tad bland, but if they liked it, who cares!!!  Sunday, Hubby made slow cooked BBQ ribs.  Fall off the bones good!  Tuesdays are going to be crock pot dinners due to the ridiculous amount of activities on that day.  Any suggestions?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have a good taco? nacho? soup/chili crockpot recipe i can give you..... i may live in the city but i grew up in the burbs!!!! we are out of town now but when i get home i will email it to you. love.

Anonymous said...

My hubby makes awesomely good roast beef in the crock pot. I can, oops, HE can give you the recipe when we next see you :-)

Nadia said...

Both of those sound yummy! I'm ready for anything.

The Adventures Ashley said...

nadia, i love to cook in the crock pot! you can make some great pork dishes, awesome soups (i have a few recipes) and even oatmeal for breakfast! i wouldn't do rice though...had bad experiences with recipes that just tell you to throw in some rice for 8 hours. let me know if you want a few recipes