Tuesday, May 3, 2011

This past week.

I have good friends and family. I was reminded of this in countless emails, facebook messages and phone calls asking about the results of the tests. The reality is that getting a medical test 1 day before a major long weekend holiday is perhaps THE WORST TIME EVER to get a test. I have not heard anything yet, but may in the next couple days. On the bruise front, I've had several folks ask me gently how I got the bruises...because they really do look like someone gave them to me. So I'm thankful for the cool weather so that I'm not tempted to wear T-shirts and shorts, cause I'm pretty sure that someone would call the authorities about my beloved Hubby! The best news might be that in the first time in 6+ times of traveling to this particular airport, I was NOT searched. I just breezed through with barely a glance in my direction. Victory!

Last week I spent a good portion of it at our denominational assembly in Banff.(tough life, I know!) It was full of 15 hour days and with it came several times where I was teaching and preaching/speaking. And although every time it felt as though my heart would pound out of my chest, it went really well. Especially since there were a lot of older folk/conservative viewpoints, I felt nothing but really affirmed and embraced. And I don't speak of easy things. I often say really hard things in challenging our churches to reframe how they look at community and hospitality and welcome. I considered it a success when I had several very crotchy people come up to me and admit that I may be 'on to something'.

But perhaps the highlight/reminder that stood out to me is this...I'm kinda good at this teaching, preaching, speaking thing. And I type this not because I want some sort of kudos from my faithful readers, but more as a challenge to myself to accept this part of me. The part that loves to learn and to share that with others. To speak truth about the Truth. To challenge people to live differently and in that to challenge myself to do the same. Which then circles me back to the fact that I currently go to a church that doesn't nessarily affirms me that gifting. But that is another post altogether.

And I'd be remiss if I didn't speak about the good people I hung out with in Banff. I am both thankful that I know them and that they are in this denomination serving. We had discussions about creationism, salvation, leadership in faith communities, how to make the best deep fried food, Canucks and what we should drink that night. You can't ask for better, more generous folks that those that I can call friends. Looking forward to November when both Hubby and I head to Banff. (FYI, a lot of people think I have a mythical husband since he has never been able to join me. It has sparked some interesting rumors though)

I am glad to be home.

6 comments:

Beth said...

Hanging with you was one of the highlights of Banff for me!

Nadia said...

Me as well, Beth. Me as well.

Nadia said...

And I was wondering if I could link your blog to mine, so I know when you post and hopefully get other to read what you are saying so beautifully.

Beth said...

Sure thing!

Zed said...

You're in my prayers Nadia.

Zed said...
This comment has been removed by the author.