Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Made my day.

This morning as I was standing in line for my coffee, sugar and fat fix, I felt a tap on my shoulder. Turning behind me I was greeted with the smiles of 8 ladies. The one who tapped me on the shoulder was so apologetic for disturbing me, but they were dying to know where I got my hair cut. They were beyond cute in their enthusiasm as I told them that usually a little Swedish girl cuts it, but this time was a guy at the same salon in the village. They asked a bunch more questions as I continued to let other people go in front me of in the sugar/caffeine/fat lineup, then came the question that usually deflates the person asking...is your hair naturally curly?

This question around my hair style choice cracks me up EVERY SINGLE TIME! Because without fail, every woman that 'wants' my hair style has thin, fine, usually dyed, pin straight hair. Pretty much the complete opposite of my hair, so I usually end up shrugging and admitting to cutting the curls out of my hair. Then come the sighs and gasps that I would DO such a thing, then I admit to my general laziness around hair care which is why I have this hair style. Finally they let me go, but the one woman put her hand on my arm and said, 'We just needed to talk with you because you are so beautiful and we loved the way you looked this morning.'

OK, I know that I shouldn't be getting my self worth/esteem boost from other people. I should be confident in myself and blah, blah, blah. Truthfully, I was feeling pretty good this morning, considering I had less than 5 hours sleep, had already gone to the states for gas, did banking and it was only 7:15am. I was wearing clothes that are less mini van mom and more like 'feeling like a woman'. BUT, it seriously made my day to talk to those ladies. I'm pretty sure I grinned like a fool the whole drive into work while singing along to Mumford & Sons.

Then I ran into this article and this one and had to stop and think about how I feel about it. Sure, I don't want my girls to think that it is all about the outer appearance, but I do want them to be confident in who they are and what their bodies are like. But it is lovely to have someone, anyone, give a genuine complement. Such a tightrope we walk as females!

2 comments:

Tracy said...

You are beautiful ~ inside & out. Good articles ~ makes me think of what I want to teach my daughters.

Nadia said...

Aww...thanks Trace, my oldest friend.

And of course by saying *oldest* friend I mean the one that's hung in there with me for 20+ years...because we both know I am MUCH older than you!