Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Adventures in tomato sauce making

Since my garden is exploding with tomatoes, I thought I'd try my hand at making & freezing tomato sauce. Again, another attempt at food blogging...

The bounty from the garden


Boiling and blanching to get rid of the skins




Endless chopping and seeding


Adding garlic and basil from the garden


Cooking and reducing


The end result


One little container of sauce! So, lessons learned from my adventure in tomato sauce making:
1. Use Roma or another kind of tomato that has no seeds and lots of flesh. The bright red juicy goodness kind of tomatoes I grew are useless for sauce.
2. Do it with a friend. It is labour intensive, much better with chatting and laughter
3. Remember to savour this one little lovely container in the dead of winter when we are all eating Californian tasteless tomatoes!

The end.

PS. At least my house smelt lovely all afternoon!

1 comment:

g. mango said...

i made what i thought would be a vat of tomato sauce the other day with all the endless tomatoes we got from a rocha this summer. ended up being only two and a half bottles of sauce, but boy was it delicious!