Thursday, August 13, 2009

Overheard in a coffeeshop

Strangers: Hello little girl. How old are you?
Kid:
Mom of Kid: She is six, isn't she tall for her age?
Strangers: Yes, and so beautiful. All ready for first grade?
Kid:
Mom of Kid: Oh yes! She is so smart.
Strangers: What is one plus one?
Kid:
Mom of Kid: Come on honey, one plus one...you can do it...she just told me this last week....OK, how about you show your eyebrow trick!
Strangers: Eyebrow trick?
Kid:
Mom of Kid: Honey, show your trick...please...she must be tired..(it's 10 am)

At this point I actually just needed to get out of the coffeeshop. It was both amusing and sad to see the mom force her kid to interact. The worst part is that at the end, it was like the mom was getting her daughter to perform like a puppy...and making excuses and bragging...it was a trainwreck.

I want my kids to be polite, and I insist on manners and answering people when they ask you questions or say hello. But I draw the line at forcing them into situations where they are clearly uncomfortable. It goes without saying that Bear struggles with this, but even Pookie has her moments where she is shy. I don't force my kids to hug and kiss people (family excluded of course) and I'm pretty sure that I don't make my kids perform tricks....feel free to correct me on this...

I just felt bad for the kid...

1 comment:

kelly ens said...

TOTALLY agree with you on this.