Friday, February 19, 2010

Play-date etiquette

Today I feel as though I made a colossal faux pas in play-date etiquette. As I have said before, I dislike play-dates, I just want people to come over. So today I made the offer to a few people, casually saying to them to come to the park behind our house after school to play since it is so sunny.

Suffice it to say, that more than one took me up on the offer. One just gave me her kid, which was cool, and one family came as a group, and one....well, I'm not sure. I think the group invitation was not exactly what she was wanting but in the chaos of after school, she and her daughter suddenly disappeared before I could explain what happened.

I feel sick about it. I've left a phone message and sent an email of apology. No response yet.

Shit. I hate play-dates.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh the joys of play-dates. Did you actually call it a play-date, or were your intentions just to hang out at the park with some friends? I wouldn't take it personally, but then... I don't like "play-dates" either!!! Tracy.

Nadia said...

I asked if the girl wanted to come over after school. The mom wasn't sure and I didn't see her right after school, so I assumed not..but I was going to double check when I got waylaid by the mom that needed someone to watch her kid cause she locked the keys in her van. I think the girl's mom thought I'd just organized another "playdate" and didn't even let me explain.

It is my nature to fret about these things. I hate the fact that I may have hurt someone's feelings unintentionally.

Plus the awkwardness tomorrow at church and school....(insert curse words here)

Alison said...

This is clearly all someone else's fault. You are off the hook. If you can't bring yourself to blame the other mother (as you ought), then perhaps you could blame Jeff? Or the principal of the school? Let me know if you need more excuse-creation than that - it's one of my spiritual gifts.