Thursday, February 24, 2011

Compression shorts


Leave now if you don't want to hear about it...

A couple of days ago I started worrying that perhaps my injury was a little more severe than I thought. The good thing is that I married a man with a big clan. And in that clan are a couple physiotherapists/occupational therapists; handy folks to know when you've hurt yourself. So I called my cousin for an over the phone diagnosis/advice. He asked me some questions, had me poke and prod, stretch and bend. By the end I was hurting. The verdict?
8-12 weeks at least. Mostly likely more. As you may have guessed, Hubby was none too thrilled with that. (Sorry Moms, if you are reading!)

One suggestion he had was to get some compression shorts. They are basically tight shorts with some fancy attributes. Not the least of which is "bringing more oxygen to the area to speed healing". REALLY? I'm wearing these under pants. How is more oxygen getting there? And how did the salewoman look me in the eye and say that with a straight face?

The thing about compression shorts is that they need to be really tight. Like a size too small tight. As you can see from the picture above, those shorts are small. And I'm a good 1/3 bigger than those shorts. Let's just say that when I pull those on, I can see just how much muffin I got on my top. Nothing like wearing skin tight shorts to motivate you to do something about it.

Which brings me to my cousin's second piece of advice. Stomach work. He told me to find the lowest stomach muscle and hold it tight. Constantly. Want to figure out which muscle it is? It is the lowest one you can find. Not the one you need to 'exercise' after child birth, but pretty darn low. (Again, sorry to any boys reading this). Now try and hold it tight for 20 minutes at a time. I did it this morning sitting at my desk. I was holding in tight, doing good, until I started feeling lightheaded. OH! Apparently I wasn't breathing while holding that muscle tight. It is pretty much impossible to do both....at least I couldn't do it well.

And I just received the last piece of advice, go to my GP and request an X Ray. Apparently my cousin is a bit worried that something is more wrong than he thought. Apparently compression shorts aren't the be all to end all.


**Here are some other blog posts/titles that I could have blogged about today, but didn't:
  • Lunchroom rules
  • Tiny fat bird
  • Dear Mr Range Rover driver
  • No, I don't want your opinion

No comments: