Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Faith like a Djembe beat

Our big city church was decidedly unbig city in its worship. We still rocked the overhead for song sheets and more often that not we were acoustic though with an array of instruments. One of my favourite aspects was the djembe drumming. We usually had at least one drummer, but could have up to 3-5 drummers up there. I used to love the times I was part of the drumline.

I am a decent player, I love the rhythm of percussion and will catch myself drumming while listening to music. For me there was nothing more fun than drumming with other people, each of us taking a part but blending together in a great beat.

Now, if I was drumming and just feeling the music, I was good. If I thought for a second, "Hey, this sounds really good", BOOM! I lost my beat. Happened every. single. time.

I'm kinda feeling that way about my faith right now. When I'm in a good groove of study/thinking/living out my faith, it is like a sweet drum beat. But, the minute I start thinking, "Hey, I'm doing good here" I lose my beat.

I think I'm finding it harder to find my beat lately cause I haven't found anyone to drum with.

No comments: