Saturday, May 22, 2010

Allergies and the Bear


This is Bear. She is my baby...even though she hates it when I call her that. This kid will be my baby even when she is taller than me, when she has her own babies and is 54. She needs to get over it....

This week we did some tests to figure out why my baby girl can get so sick, so often. Starting from 6 weeks until today, Bear gets really sick about 4-6 times a year. So, we went to an allergist for some tests hoping to shed light on the issue.
Bear had 27 pokes in her arm. Trust me when I say that it is a horrible feeling to pin down your screaming daughter as a nurse takes a needle to poke/scratch 27 spots on your baby's arms.

Thankfully Bear has no food allergies! But she is allergic to wet mold and birch trees. Huh. Apparently if you are allergic to birch trees, you can also react to about 15 different types of fruit and nuts as well. But the big one is the wet mold...awesome when you live in a
rainforest region where wet mold abounds.

So, our 20 gallon fish tank is leaving our house. We will keep our little tank since it is much easier to keep clean. But the big issue that I am mourning is our tradition of cutting down a Christmas tree. Live trees are full of wet mold...hence the need for a fake tree. Which isn't a big deal for this year since we are heading east for Christmas, otherwise known as the land of fake trees.(due to an abundance of tree allergies in the family). But I love real trees in the house for Christmas!!!


I blame Hubby's side of the family for this.

1 comment:

julie anna said...

That's the same allergy that Nellie has (the birch one)! Her reactions to food didn't start until the last three or four years. It's a strange thing, and apparently it affects everyone differently. Hope things are looking up for Bear!