Saturday, May 29, 2010

Starting the day off with a bang!

Today, sparks flew in our household. Literally.

Let me explain. Our whole house is heated by electric baseboards, which is both expensive and renders 3/4 of our walls almost unusable due to their placement. We knew that it was risky to have a couch and table near that wall, but we thought we had taken precautions in turning off the heater and placing cords away from the heater...until today.

This morning, as the girls were playing beside the couch, there was a huge bang! Just as I turned to look, there were sparks flying and smoke was filling the air. As I was racing over to the girls, they were screaming and running upstairs. Turns out the lamp cord had fallen into the baseboard and even though the baseboard wasn't hot, the cord had exploded into 2 pieces. I quickly pulled the couch and table into the middle of the room and unplugged everything. Then I grabbed the girls and tried to calm them down. Bear was shaking so badly that she couldn't stand on her legs for 10 minutes, while Pookie kept screaming that we needed Hubby. Finally I took her face and told her that I was perfectly capable of taking care of this and they needed to calm down. I flung open all the doors, got Pookie to find a fan and cleaned up the remnants of the lamp.

Then we headed off to swimming lessons. Just another day in the life...

No comments: