Monday, May 24, 2010

Family outing



Today we decided to do a movie date with the girls. We had coupons that we could use and a rare day off for all 4 of us. Since all movies these days seem to be in 3D, we donned our glasses and settled in to watch 30 mins of previews and a 1 1/2 of the movie.

The premise of the movie is Shrek longing for the pre-family, more ogre like days. He is getting tired of the constant parenting, curious visitors and general lack of time to take mud baths and terrifying people. So he makes a deal with Rumpelstiltskin to have 1 day of his former life. Of course there is fine print and life is not all roses...in fact, the kingdom is in shambles and Fiona is this kick-ass ogre warrior trying to lead a revolution. And worse of all, she doesn't like Shrek.

The movie also shows all the other characters and how their lives are so very different in this reality, Puss in Boots is fat and bootless, Donkey is enslaved and Gingy is an extreme cookie fighter.

Of course Shrek realizes how good he had it and must get a True Love kiss from Fiona. Wackiness ensues and all is well at the end.

Of course, this makes me think of how my life would be different if I had taken a different path in 1996. If I didn't go to Camden or didn't get involved with Hubby when I was there.

It would be pretty different for sure. I wouldn't be married for one thing. People tell me differently, but I know that Hubby was my one shot at a relationship and lucky for me, he stuck. He is a good, good man.

Guaranteed, I'd be a bit of a hermit. Unless I purposely put myself into a situation, like living in a community house or a ministry in the 3rd world. Otherwise, I'd be adrift, a bit disconnected from folks...I'd hide it by constantly moving about the world, exploring and writing and taking pictures...but no real rootedness.

And I'd probably be in a little more of a mental mess than I currently am...mostly because having a family forces you to get outside your own head to take care of others.

Wow, this got kind of introspective! The reality is that this is my life, the girls and Hubby, and it is a good life. One that is ever changing and evolving. Though I may long for a different life once in a while...I ain't signing no deals with Rumpelstiltskin!

No comments: