Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Clan gathering

Today was Hubby's clan gathering dinner. 40 loud, loving, Dutch (for the most part) folks in one house to share a meal together. When we were first married, I found these dinners completely overwhelming...and that was before we all started adding kids to the mix. Hubby's family is loud and boisterous, affectionate and casual, everything my family wasn't. And I loved it.

It can be a bit difficult for us outlaws/married ins, to find our niche in this family...not because the family is not welcoming, but often more because most of us come from quieter, smaller families. Personally, I think it is part of the attraction for those of us who married in, this strong sense of clan, the family and the obvious love shared here. I love sitting back and watching everyone interact and often find myself in smaller conversations with different folk. And it is so fun to watch the girls run around with a dozen cousins and second cousins, only coming for food and the occasional hug to ground themselves.

And at the beginning of the meal, scripture is read, prayers offered for those not with us and an overarching sense of thankfulness for what we have. It was loud, crazy and beautiful.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

OK I take offense of no mention of the winner of the contest...