Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The skinny jean debate

I am not one to be really current with fashion trends. My style is "dress for the elements" with a bit of thrift store free. I could never be accused of being trendy or hip. Between living with a young adult whose fashion sense is very good, daughters who have a very strong sense of their own style and new friends who would never be caught in mom jeans, I find myself contemplating fashion more than I ever have before.

It is all about the skinny jeans and boot trend that seems to be everywhere. Every age, every body shape, every gender seems to be wearing various styles of the skinny jean and boot look. (Let me just take a minute and voice my opinion that skinny jeans + guys = a horrible look...but that's just me.) I just don't know if I can rock this look. Jackie insists that I can do it and has been my most vocal supporter, making me try on various combinations.

I'm sure that this is just another body issue thing for me. I've always been more comfortable in looser fitting clothes, even when I was dead skinny. I've been making some movement towards closer fitting clothes, much to the delight of Hubby, but I'm just not sure I can make the leap.

But if I'm gonna do it, I gotta do it soon. Jackie is leaving us to pursue higher education. (Apparently that is more important than hanging out with us...the nerve!)


7 comments:

Megan said...

Try the slim jeans from Superstore. They are only $19 so if you hate them you aren't out a lot of money!

ACJ said...

Skinny jeans and boots is a look that I am finding surprisingly universally flattering. I don't have the boots yet, but I do have one pair of jeans and I kind of like it... go for it! We'll wear matching outfits to our seed exchange.

kelly ens said...

i will never do the skinny jean/boots combo. and i agree that guys in skinny jeans is just WRONG.
but i'm the least fashionable person i know.
and i'm ok with that. :)

Beth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beth said...

Mom Jeans!

Nadia said...

Wow, love the comments and the YouTube vid. I'll keep you posted!

Niki said...

Do it! You'll look great, hot momma!