Friday, December 3, 2010

Movie Night


There are certain pop culture books that get Christian folk's knickers in a knot...Catcher in the Rye, The Narnia series, The Da Vinci Code and this series, Harry Potter.

I have friends who think the Harry Potter series is one of the best fiction series around. The BBC 100 books you must read would agree. Other friends believe that the series is evil incarnate, the idea of magic totally repulsive. I've heard the phrase 'demon possessed' tossed around once or twice in conversation around this topic.

As you may have noticed over this year, I love to read. Harry Potter is a series I owned and re-read quite frequently. I think it is one of the best series that has come out in a good long while and I love how it has crossed age boundaries. You could talk to a 7 year and a 87 year old and you would find kindred spirits around the characters.

I don't believe that it is appropriate for my 7 year to read or watch the movies simply because:
a). She is not at the reading level needed to comprehend the book.
b). She is 7 and the movies are scary.

That said, if at age 9+ either girl shows an interest, I would let them read it.(I would probably hold off on the movies as long as possible) Thankfully by the time either girl reaches that age, we should be well past the marketing blitz other parents have had to endure.

I will admit that I'm always a bit judgemental when I see parents bring in kids that look younger than 10 to these movies. Tonight there was one scene in the movie that scared both Hubby and I so badly that I think I stopped breathing and I'm pretty sure that Hubby will have left fingermarks on my leg where he was resting his hand. Then we got the nervous giggles because of all that adrenaline racing through us that it took a good 5 minutes for us to calm down. I'm sure the 7 year old a few rows ahead of us won't have nightmares at all!

Can't wait till the next one comes out!

1 comment:

Megan said...

so jealous that you went to see this. I can hardly wait to see it! I love Harry Potter!