Saturday, November 20, 2010

1st Cavity

One week ago I noticed a spot on Bear's tooth. Yesterday, I took her to the dentist and they confirmed that, yes, Bear had a cavity. We've been down this path before with Pookie. Although with Pookie, the first dentist told us not too worry. But the time I got referred to a pediatric dentist, the cavity that we didn't need to worry about turned into a tooth that got pulled...and she had huge amounts of problems that require a General Anaesthesia and 2 hours of dental surgery. Apparently, Pookie's teeth were clean, very clean, but she has grooves that make it almost impossible for us to keep cavity free. Genetics are a b!tch.

Needless to say, I was a bit more proactive in advocating for Bear. We went back today to get the one cavity filled. She was a trouper, took the drilling without any numbing and had it filled in 15 minutes. She has another one that will take a bit more work, but is so minute that it would wait. The kicker is that Bear has weak enamel...a condition developed in utero.

Let's just say that whenever your kid has a condition that develops "in utero" it is hard not to feel guilty about it. This clinic is so great at both explaining things to kids and reassuring parents in how they are caring for the kids. The dentist told me over and over that it wasn't my fault that my kids got the short end of the genetic pool in terms of teeth....but I needed to be on top of it.

Awesome. Cause I'm so on top of everything else.


No comments: