Monday, November 1, 2010

Candletime

So we made it through the madness of September, with the new routines and copious cash leakage for school....

We did October with birthdays, Thanksgiving, Hubby's trip and Halloween...

Now it is November and we have a moment to breathe before Advent. So imagine my joy when I stumbled across a new tradition at Ask Moxie....Candletime!

I'd like to announce that I've created a new holiday: Candletime. It runs from November 1 through the day before American Thanksgiving (so November 25 this year), and the celebration is that you dim the lights and light a bunch of candles in the evening when you get home, and enjoy a cup or tea or coffee or cider or glass of wine. The official greeting is either "Happy Candletime!" or "Light up! It's Candletime!"


So when I got home, down came the harvest decorations, a good cleaning of the downstairs and by 5 pm, candles were lit and dinner was on the stove. Pretty good considering I'd left work a touch early with a massive headache.

I officially declare Candletime a go from now till Sunday Nov 28, the first Sunday of Advent.

4 comments:

Niki said...

Strange to find this here since tonight we had a candlelit dinner as a family. Just felt it'd be nice to dress up dinner for a change, and it was nice. So I'm in! :)

ACJ said...

Hey! You AskMoxie? and you candletime? Love it. Us too! First night. Even bought a special candle for the middle of the table that doesn't feel too dangerous.

Last year's Advent included a regular reading of The Story of Jonathan Toomey by candlelight with our special Christmas candle, so I think we'll just extend Candletime through Advent for the pleasure of extra light.

We're funny, we two...

JD said...

i like candle time, i like it a lot!

Nadia said...

Excellent! Quite frankly, it was lovely to tidy up the house and light the candles in the fireplace.

ACJ, we are kindred spirits. I'm going to look for that story!

Actually, I also need to get started on our Advent box too..