Thursday, April 8, 2010

Adventures in Babysitting.

For the last month I've been looking after twin girls the same age as Bear (4). And it has been pretty smooth. They play well together, and when they don't, I step in with a distraction.

So I thought nothing of the fact that they were upstairs for while and that it was pretty quiet...until I went up to get them.

And saw a pile of hair.
Straight hair.
And scissors.

Apparently while one twin was sitting in front of her, Bear decided to snip off some of her hair. FOR NO REASON! I could have shook that kid. Not only did she do something incredibly naughty, but she did it to kids I AM IN CHARGE OF!

Shit.

So, with extreme restraint and effort, I took Bear downstairs to talk with her.

Why did you do it? I don't know. You don't know???? You have to know!!!
And on and on it went. I left her for 30 minutes in her room while I cooled down. When I came back, she had made 2 fingers bloody by her anxiety. (picking at them) She told me over and over how sorry she was. I told her over and over how she had to apologize to the twins' daddy.

Now that was an awkward conversation!

"Hi, um, my kid cut your kid's hair. I am really sorry. Where was I? Downstairs. I thought they were fine. Yes, I know scissors are dangerous. Yes, Bear is being punished. I am really sorry.
Did I say I was sorry?"

Yikes! I guess I'll find out tomorrow if they will trust me with their kids again. And whether or not Bear's chopping did real damage to the kid.


3 comments:

kelly ens said...

i know i commented on facebook about this, but OH MAN!!!!! what a situation to deal with - i hope the parents aren't too upset :(

Anonymous said...

Oh Rori... my kindred spirit. I once cut a young boy's hair when I was exactly Rori's age & he returned the favor. We even hid the hair under my bed! Needless to say, our parents weren't happy, but it makes a great story to tell 30 years later!!! T.

Nadia said...

Apparently the twin did try and return the favor to Bear, but the hair kept slipping out of the scissors!

FYI, the kid looks fine...can barely tell!