Friday, April 2, 2010

Good Friday????

Today we attended a Tenebrae service at church to observe Good Friday. Tenebrae literally meets 'shadows' or 'darkness'. The service was good for my soul in so many ways.

How the sanctuary became darker as the service went on.

The readings based in scripture and the accompanying candle.

The quiet. The reflection. This is my kind of church.

And, I got to participate by doing one of the readings...And I remembered how much I enjoy leading others in worship/reflection..

The shadow of Crucifixion...

Readings from Psalm 22:1-2,6-8,14-18

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
Why are you so far from saving me,
so far from the words of my groaning?
O my God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer,
by night, and am not silent.
But I am a worm and not a man,
scorned by men and despised by the people.
All who see me mock me; they hurl insults, shaking their heads:
"He trusts in the LORD; let the LORD rescue him.
Let him deliver him, since he delights in him."
I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint.
My heart has turned to wax; it has melted away within me.
My strength is dried up like a potsherd,
and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth;
you lay me in the dust of death.
Dogs have surrounded me; a band of evil men has encircled me,
they have pierced my hands and my feet.
I can count all my bones; people stare and gloat over me.
They divide my garments among them and cast lots for my clothing.

Luke 9:23

"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself
and take up his cross daily and follow me."

Matthew 27:31-43

....Then they led him away to crucify him.
As they were going out, they met a man from Cyrene, named Simon,
and they forced him to carry the cross.
They came to a place called Golgotha
(which means The Place of the Skull).
There they offered Jesus wine to drink, mixed with gall;
but after tasting it, he refused to drink it.
When they had crucified him,
they divided up his clothes by casting lots.
And sitting down, they kept watch over him there.
Above his head they placed the written charge against him:
“This is Jesus, the King of the Jews.”
Two robbers were crucified with him,
one on his right and one on his left.
Those who passed by hurled insults at him,
shaking their heads and saying,
"You who are going to destroy the temple
and build it in three days, save yourself!
Come down from the cross, if you are the Son of God!"
In the same way the chief priests, the teachers of the law
and the elders mocked him.
"He saved others, but he can't save himself!
He's the King of Israel! Let him come down now from the cross,
and we will believe in him.
He trusts in God. Let God rescue him now, if he wants him...."

“This is the Shadow of Crucifixion” (extinguish candle)

No comments: