Tuesday, April 27, 2010

My Food Theology

In the past year I've been doing a lot of reading, writing, watching, gardening, baking, canning and general experiments around food. Some have worked, others not so much. However in watching Food Inc, my thoughts are beginning to form more concretely; let's call it my Food Theology.

First off, I will never be a 100 mile food diet person, I love coffee, sugar and rice too much.
I am not a strong believer in buying all organic, mostly because I'm not overly convinced.

What I do think:
It is important to support local growers. Farmers' markets, roadside vendors and local growers are all great places to shop.
Buy in season as much as possible.
Learn how to preserve food in such a way that you can enjoy it when it is not in season.
Whenever possible, try and grow food yourself.
Cooking with my kids is a good thing. I need to relax about it.
There is much that is wrapped in food and faith.
We need to eat less meat. And the meat we eat should be of the free range sort.
Making food from scratch is fun.
Share the excess.
It is important to know where your food comes from and how it is produced.

I know that I'm personally moving away from processed, out of season food. I would be reasonable in terms of allowing spices, sugar, flour, coffee and rice...and I probably would leave chips in there, cause I love 'em...And I also wouldn't enforce this on my family. But as I get better at growing and making food, I'm hoping my family will prefer it over processed.

What do you think about food?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally agree with your food theology my friend. Only thing is that change takes time... and time is something I don't have a lot of right now. Let me know any more tips or good places to buy. T.
PS I'm liking the new look of who's your mama.

kelly ens said...

nice new look on your blog!
i totally agree with you on the food theology. my only problem with the whole free range products is the cost. :(

Nadia said...

Thanks for the blog look comments...I needed something more 'springy'.

As for the food, it can be expensive but there are more avenues now. Like buying direct from a farm, especially if you find friends to share the cost. Chicken and turkey can be around the $2-$3/lb, and beef $4-5. Not bad when you consider you get prime cuts as well as ground and stew beef for the same price.

Change does take time..and mistakes happen, like a brick of a bread loaf! =-)