Thursday, April 15, 2010

A different sort of gal...

I am not like most women. For those that know me, that is not surprise revelation. I don't enjoy chit chat, or talking about my feelings. I love my kids something fierce, but I'm not overly maternal in nature. I don't do dresses.

Today I realized just one more way that I may not be like some other women. When I am sad or heavy hearted, I don't go shoe or clothes shopping...I head straight for a local nursery...that's right. I buy dirt. And flowers. And veggies that I don't grow from seed.

Today was one of those days where I needed the solace of wandering through rows of seedlings, fertilizer and dirt. Here's a list of what I picked up:

Inpatients
Daisies
Balcopia
Lobelia
Celery
Eggplant
Lettuces
Rosemary
Basil
Broccoli
Cilantro
2 bags of dirt
Some much needed distraction.

I'm sure I could get all spiritual about being out in the sun, digging up weeds, seeing worms, seedlings and new growth. The reality is that I needed my hands to be busy and my mind to be blank.

The result is 2 hangings baskets out front. An arrangement of pink inpatients at the back and a mostly weed free back yard waiting to be planted with sweet peas, lettuces and herbs.

And a bit of peace of mind.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Ha! Both of us talking about soil! Too bad we don't live closer, you could grow me some veggies, and I could tend your blooms!

Lisa said...

OK, did that sound a little inappropriate???
LOL

Nadia said...

No! It provided a nice little giggle!