Monday, April 19, 2010

Crash, boom bang!

About 10 minutes after putting the girls to bed Sunday night, I heard a horrific crash and immediate scream of pain. Hubby was in the shower and I was on a different floor watching TV when it happened, so you know it is bad when it is so loud.

As I tore down the stairs, I could tell it was Bear screaming and my first thought was that she had tumbled off her top bunk. When I got there, it was a combination of Bear screaming in pain, holding her face and Pookie trying to explain what happened.

Apparently, they had been verbally fighting and Bear was running to tattle on Pookie. Pookie had reached out to stop her and Bear's face crashed into the corner of the dresser in full flight...just missing her eye.

My first instinct was to yell at both of them. Clearly if they would just go to sleep when we put them to bed this would not happen!

However, I rocked Bear and told Pookie to go back to bed. I watched as a bruise formed on Bear's face and got Hubby to lift her back into bed. I kissed Pookie and Bear and told them tomorrow was a new day.

Then I went upstairs to calm my pounding heart. I don't like it when my kids get hurt. Or when they hurt each other using words or physical pain.

This parenting gig is hard.

No comments: