Thursday, June 10, 2010

And it is high school all over again.

Today was one of those days where I become acutely aware just how high school awkwardness just never leaves you...it just manifests in different ways....

There was a retirement tea for the girls' school principal this afternoon, fairly formal and not kid friendly. Hubby was home early to hang out with the girls so I headed off alone. I did try calling a couple of friends to see if they were going, but no luck. I would have to face this alone.

I really hate going into situations where you need to find a seat with people and make small talk. I'm not good at it. I panic and wonder if people will let me sit with them, or if they will smile politely and tell me that the seat is taken. Every single insecurity is magnified for me in these moments.

So, I did what I did 15 years ago in a similar situation, I took a deep breath, looked for a group of people that I thought would be interesting to hang out with and sat down with them. 15 years ago it worked and I count those people among some of my closest friends today. And this afternoon? Also some very cool people that may turn into good friends.

High school sucked. Life after High school? So much better.

1 comment:

kelly ens said...

i'm the same way :)