Thursday, June 24, 2010

Ankle envy

I've never been one to over- analyze my body. I was taller and darker than the rest of my family, fairly skinny most of my life with curly hair. It wasn't until we were trying to get pregnant that I realized that my body could betray me. It could act pregnant, even though I wasn't...or worse, it would act pregnant even though the baby had died inside me. Of course when I did get big and pregnant, I loved my body...never felt sexier than when I was pregnant. And now that I'm getting older and my metabolism is slowing down, there are new changes to my body. But there is one body issue that is really getting me...

I have ankle envy.

You see, up until a few years ago I had really nice ankles. Skinny legs with a definite ankle area. Then I tore my Achilles tendon on my right side. Now I have one thick ankle with a 6 inch scar and one 'regular' ankle. I didn't realize I had ankle envy until I was playing with the girls and watched them climb up the playground. I was behind Bear and was making sure she made it to the top when I noticed her ankles, strong, defined and scarless. Pookie is the same. And though I'm glad my girls have such beautiful ankles, I miss mine.

Strange, I know...but there you have it.


4 comments:

julie anna said...

I have a scar on my ankle from when I was seven months old. It (and the doctor behind it) is what made it so that I could walk. My ankles and feet have never been all that nice to look at, but I love that scar. It reminds me of how fortunate I am to live in a place where such medical care is provided so readily.

Nadia said...

I know I'm a big whiner...90% of the time I think scars are badass, character etc...it's the 10% that sneaks up on me sometimes!

julie anna said...

Sorry, I wasn't trying to make you feel like a whiner! I totally understand how you feel. It just made me think, is all.

Nadia said...

Julie,

I totally appreciated your comment, it gives me some much needed perspective on life. That's what happens when you blog everyday. The random chaos that is my mind spills onto here.

Hope to see you both soon!