Saturday, March 6, 2010

The Changeling

Today I watched the Changeling, a movie I'd picked up at the library. Why I watch movies to do with the subject of children and violence I will never know. Although the movie itself is not overly violent (rather more flashbacks of bits and pieces) the overall story line is distressing.

A single mother and son are living the life in L.A. in the 1920's. The son goes missing and the corrupt LAPD do nothing, then produce a "fake"son. When the mother complains that the boy is not her son, she is deemed insane and committed to a mental hospital. The story chronicles her struggle to find the truth about her son and to expose the rampant corruption with the police system. There is far more to the movie then I am writing here...but the movie taps into every parent's deepest fear. The fear of your child disappearing into thin air.

What would I do? How would I cope? I don't know. And I pray to God that I, or any one else will ever have to find out.

I feel as though I should have watched Mamma Mia or Charlie's Angels right afterwards to clear my brain and think stupid happy thoughts....Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!!!!

3 comments:

kelly ens said...

SUCH an intense movie, for sure!

JD said...

That movie is insanely intense. My dad called me everyday, two or three times a day after he watched that movie.

Nadia said...

Intense is right! JD, as much as I think that it is wonderful that you are tripping all over Europe, I don't know that I could let my girls do the same. I'd be sick with worry all the time! I feel for your Dad!