Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Mary Poppins and Rainbows


Today was one of those days that I think I'm doing OK at this parenting gig. We spent the morning at church at Moms' Morning out. Nothing better than 15 kids running around a gym while the moms get to chat. Lunch and chill out time, then just as the skies start to look ominous we headed to the park. After creating 3 sand castle masterpieces, the skies opened up and started pouring. We dashed home, made hot chocolate and popcorn and put in the Mary Poppins DVD.

The girls weren't too sure about it, but soon were enthralled. We had a good chat about the grumpy dad and whether we needed a chimney sweep to clean our chimney. Luckily, our not-so-grumpy dad appeared and cooked dinner. After dinner I announced that I wanted to walk to the library in the rain. Bear, who at this point has spent every hour since 1 am by my side, said she was coming. So we bundled up and headed out. As we came out of the store, I told Bear to look for rainbows. We found shelter under an awning and watched the most intense rainbow appear in the sky. At first it was just a shadow and then suddenly it was a full rainbow stretched across the sky. The colours were so bright, you could see each individual colour. Bear and I were so engrossed in our little conversation and pointing that we didn't realize that we had attracted a crowd who were now enjoying the rainbow with us.

As we continued our walk, Bear took my hand and told me that she was so glad she came with me.

Me too kid. Me too.

No comments: