Tuesday, July 6, 2010

FarmCity

This woman is crazy. She moved into the ghettos of Oakland, took over a vacant lot and turned into a farm. Complete with chickens, rabbits, ducks and pigs. She butchered her own animals! Makes her own cheese! Dives in dumpsters to feed those pigs twice a day, up to 100lbs of food. Built garden boxes from scraps. Has a chicken coop in a burned out car. Keeps duckings in her bathtub till they are old enough to make it outside. This woman is hard core. And I admire her.

But, I could never do it. I'm scared of birds. I have no desire to skin my own animals and eat them. I don't want to dumpster dive to feed them. And I definitely don't have a husband that shares any of the above desires.

However, her vision of a vacant, dirty unused lot transformed into a space that feeds her and her neighborhood??? That is something I can get behind. I already have friends that do that in the city. Guerrilla gardening they call it, reclaiming abandoned lots and turning them into community gardens. It makes me think of Camden and the numerous lots there of abandoned houses, dirty vacant lots. It makes me dream of a city where you cannot buy fresh food, the dreams of community gardens where kids can learn of faith and gardening. Where families can gather and where barrenness can be reclaimed. One seed at a time.

No comments: