Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Food Theology - A redemptive act

A friend of mine raises chickens on an island farm, a short ferry ride away. He had sent me a message asking whether or not I wanted some for my freezer. And since I'm trying to cut down both on meat eating and buying from stores (feedlot meat), I jumped at the chance for fresh, natural chicken.

Early this morning, I got the call. The location was set. The price decided.

I rolled into the parking lot. Mike quickly jumped out with the box of chicken. The money was passed from hand to hand. And just like that the deal was done. Back into our cars and off we went.

The location? The parking lot of the local McDonalds.

It was a subversive, redemptive act of food theology at its best.

2 comments:

ACJ said...

This is one of my favourite posts/events in a long time. Subversive chicken exchanges (SCEs?) could become the next big thing. Tell your chicken guy there's a girl with chicken dreams and a McDonalds in North Van waiting to join the movement.

Nadia said...

Next time the chicken call is sounded, I will let you know! It was strangely liberating.