Friday, July 2, 2010

The "unorganized" birthday party.

Today we hosted Pookie's seventh birthday party. A few weeks ago Pookie was talking about her party and looked at me and said, "Mom, can I have an unorganized birthday party?". Oh child after my own heart...of course you can!

Really, an unorganized party requires just as much work as an organized one. What she really meant was: Can the kids just play and you feed us when we are hungry? And a cake. And goody bags. It sounds like my child has gone to many highly scheduled birthday parties, which we all know I could not do if my life depended on it.

So, we had a slip and slide in the park. There was watermelon and chips available for snacking. Then burgers and hot dogs on the bbq and a rainbow cake made up of mini cupcakes. An impromptu soccer game, sand castle building and bubble blowing all happened. Parents came and stayed and had grown up chat time. It lasted 4 hours and I'm pretty sure I barely saw my kids. Everyone left happy, a little wet and tired, goody bag in hand. Pookie had asked for donations to Childrens' Hospital in lieu of gifts, but our friends ended up bringing gifts as well as donations. She felt asleep holding her new Tiana Princess Barbie doll, surrounded by new dress up clothes.

It was a good day. Pictures to come.

6 comments:

Niki said...

Awww, I can just picture your beauty sleeping with her new "treasures"!

We had a great time, even it was only part of the Frew clan. Glad Kenna and I could celebrate your almost 7 year old.

Tracy said...

We all had a ton of fun. Luke fell asleep about 30 seconds after I put him in his crib. Thanks for having us at your 'unorganized' b-day Kiara!!!

the family j said...

I share your unorganized hearts!! How fun. Sounds like a slice of heaven to me. Happy b-day, spunky girl!!!
love, Your Far-Away Fan Club

Nadia said...

Family J?

the family j said...

wow, see you knew who I was when I just tped my name, now that I sign in I look no-namey! It's me april vanderneworleans!

Nadia said...

I wondered! I thought it might be my favorite VanderJohnson!