Wednesday, August 18, 2010

VBS---Dance party style.

Tonight the girls were invited to a friend's church for a 'Superstar Rally', code for Vacation Bible School. But not a typical VBS at all. First off, it was primarily run by youth and young adults, which I'm a bit fan of. Their energy was pretty infectious and there is just something really hopeful seeing young adults passionate and serving about God.

But the crazy part was when the lights went out and the worship time was really a dance party, complete with strobe lights and choreographed dancing. The girls were pretty wide eyed, but relaxed after a while. Then they went into small groups, chatted, ate a snack and watched a funny skit. Then an earnest young man came up a preached a 3 point sermon. To his credit, the kids were pretty tuned into what he was saying. Then they got a lollypop on the way out.

I didn't grow up in church, so I don't really have as much baggage around kid programming as some of my friends do. However, I am pretty resistant to 'canned, bible in a box' programming for kids. But I realize that it is not about me, but about my girls' experience. If it works for them, great. If they come home complaining or if I see that they are disconnected from what is happening, I don't make them go.

Why would I? I've taken some flack for that stance, but I want the girls to engage faith in a way that is authentic to them. Pookie doesn't want to go to a program that is competitive and rewards based. She is not motivated by it, she is motivated by relationships. Bear doesn't mind being challenged to memorize scripture and playing big group games, but she needs to feel safe and taken care of. It is our job as parents to be attentive to that and to make sure that opportunities are there for them. Our goal is to encourage the girls to develop a faith that is their own and not just a mirror of ours. (In truth, their faith is often superior to mine)

Will they go back tomorrow? Maybe, maybe not...

1 comment:

ACJ said...

I want you to write some more about this. I wonder all the time about this sharing of faith with our children. I'm a bit averse (real word?) to evangelism of any kind, never mind to my own offspring, and yet at the same really think that knowing Jesus' love for us is at the heart of Good Living. How to make space for Jesus to work and lurk in their lives... how?