Sunday, August 1, 2010

2 Events, one thought.

When we live in Vancity, we went to a very 'arts' oriented church. There were tons of musicians and different medium artists. Which meant that we sang homegrown songs, read specific liturgies to our church and always had the sanctuary adorned with meaningful art. There was space during the service for contemplation and participation. Scriptures were read by folks from within the congregation in a multitude of different ways. Communion was served often and in very communal and visual ways; ie: actually breaking of a loaf. Prayers were offered up in people's native languages. Worship was a full sensory experience.

Tonight we watched a movie full of Catholic reference and I was struck again at the imagery, art and rhythm of faith present there. The paintings, buildings, sculptures and prayers again are full of sensory experiences.

I was reminded of a comment I'd heard at a gathering in early July of leadership at my work.
"The Church has a deep history with art. The Renaissance, arguably the most prolific time of art production in history, was primarily funded by the Church. Somehow we've lost that connection. Now is the time to re-establish it."

As I sit in a church with its blank pink walls and its relentless driven programmed service, I feel a disconnect. There is nothing (outside of God) that draws me into worship. I still remember that epiphany during my early years of pastoring when my mentor taught me that as a leader, we need to guide/draw/encourage people into worship. We cannot expect it to 'just happen', but rather create both an atmosphere and give space for people to enter in. We need to be a voice of welcome at the beginning, calling people into this time and space of worship. Not just to sing catchy songs, but to remind our hearts of why we are here in the first place.

To acknowledge God in this place. To invite the Spirit in. To be a voice of welcome. To connect the community of believers. To lift our voices in prayer. To have space for silence.

I miss art in my worship...more than I ever thought was possible.

No comments: