Thursday, September 9, 2010

Car shopping sucks.

With the Jetta spewing various liquids from the engine, we decided to check out a couple of car lots to see what was out there.

Why we do this, I don't know. We suck at just looking. Inevitably we ended up chatting with some salesperson and the next thing we know we are sitting at a desk trying desperately to get out of there. And there is always that sick feeling that we are getting screwed over. Plus the fact that we can't really afford a 'new' second car...it just ends badly.

The real question is how do people afford vehicles that cost, on average $25K?

Someone enlighten me. Please.

5 comments:

kelly ens said...

people go into debt for them.
or they sell their beautiful old car that they spent years restoring... *sniff*

in my opinion, honda's and toyota's hold their value, so if you bought an older one for less money, it would probably last you quite a while. just make sure to spend the money and have your mechanic check it out before buying it.

julie anna said...

We're looking, too, but we're thinking about buying from Budget or another rental place. The prices are a lot better, and the cars are usually really well taken care of. Just a thought, from another family who can't afford a new second car (even though we are both now gainfully employed)!

ACJ said...

Debt. Spiritual and financial debt. I actually kind of like the process now that I have taken my mother's advice that one must just accept that you're going to drive away in your new car feeling f*cked. Now if I'm dealing with a sales person, I try to reposition the story so that instead of getting screwed, I'm feeding his family. That I only ever deal with 22 year-old and/or 65 year-old men hurts this endeavour, but I try nonetheless.

That said, it feels better to buy from nice families who are finally upgrading and selling a decent used car. Post what you're looking for on craigslist and see what happens.

And you know I love the VW, am still sad about losing the Jetta, but Kelly's right: honda or toyota is a better bet for less liquid spewage. Or less expensive liquid spewage.

Here's what did us in this last time: feeling like we would be bad parents if we didn't choose "safe" over "cheap". Or at least, safer...

Nadia said...

Thanks for your words friends. I'll keep you posted on the continuing saga...

Niki said...

Ahh, no fun! I hate this too, and the feeling of being taken of advantage of because it is not our area of expertise. Praying you find something just right for your family!