Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Heartbreak Hotel

Last night the Bear was finding all sorts of excuses to come down and talk to me after I'd put her to bed. Finally she kinda sidled up to me and asked why I had to go to work everyday. I gently explained that I was trying to help Daddy by working so that he didn't have to work so much. I also told her that I liked to work a bit, but that I didn't really like working quite so much.

She looked at me with her big green eyes for a long time. Suddenly I noticed that they were filling with tears and that her bottom lip was quivering. Suddenly she flung herself at me sobbing her little heart out.

"I miss you in the mornings!"

OH. MY. I think my heart broke in half at that moment.

After a few minutes of cuddling, she calmed down and we chatted about how we could make the mornings easier. I promised to kiss her when I left in the morning, and she was allowed to call me after breakfast. She cheated this morning by waking up with a bad dream at 5 am. I carried her to our bed, cuddled with her for 15 minutes and then left her tucked in bed with Hubby.

Someone should have told me that parenting = heartbreak in so many different ways.

1 comment:

ACJ said...

I hope your heard the part where you are what she needs, loud enough to at least balance out the part where you are breaking her. Maybe even drown it out...

As you'll know, I know all too well the ouch of parenting these days, but reading your blog tonight it reminds me that we are still who they need most, still who love them best.

Their pain is our pain in that weird sewn-together way and it is times a billion when it is us that contribute to that pain. No getting around that.

But maybe no getting around how it's our arms, our kisses, our comfort, our ears, our bed that are the closest they get to that Perfect Love we're all waiting for.

You were what she needed and there you were.