Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Earthwise

Since moving to the village I've enjoyed poking around at some of the local farm. Berry picking, honey tasting and veggie buying are all bonuses of living here. For quite some time I've heard about the Earthwise Society. They are located near the beach and you can drive by it without noticing. I popped in there today to take a look around because I'm interested in the apprenticeship program they offer.

First off, there are masses of flowers as you enter, dahlias, sunflowers and various other wildflowers. The folks there are friendly and encouraged me to wander. The front section is a lot of flowers, shrubs and trees, the back 40 is all garden allotments of people from the area. One thing I noticed was that though it was quite in terms of people noise, it was loud in the garden. There were a ton of birds, bees, crickets, butterflies and a myriad of other insects enjoying the gardens. (There was also a older woman in her bra enjoying the sun. That was hardly awkward.)

I saw onions the size of grapefruits, tomatoes of all shapes and sizes and the list goes on. Some gardens were neatly laid out in sections, others were a riotous mass of colour and veggies all willy nilly. I loved it.

I was so inspired I managed to sneak away to my own garden and dig up the remaining of my potatoes (about 10 lbs), pick the last of the beans, admire the soyabeans that seem to be growing and dig up a pound of carrots.

That's how I should be spending my days.

No comments: