Monday, October 25, 2010

Me and my dirt pile.

I have been blessed by a woman in our church who has a huge plot of land and needs help maintaining it. She has given me permission to "farm" a section of it, more than 1000+ sq. feet.


First order of business was to order some dirt/compost from the landfill. I ordered 6 yards, but when the dump truck arrived full to the brim....3 tons. We couldn't get it dumped directly where I was building the gardens, but 500 feet away.

It doesn't look like much, but this dirt pile kicked my a$$! It took 761 wheelbarrow trips to move it. Give or take 213. Thankfully I had helpers.

Hubby built some boxes for me, including personal ones for the girls. I also created a corn patch (blue tarp area) and tomato tires. Garlic is planted and now the beds are resting for the winter.




The goal is to build the garden with all recycled/free material. So far the boxes have been built with scavenged wood and the tires came off a friends truck. I hope to find trellis material, hoses and more tires and wood as we go along.

I can't wait till spring!

2 comments:

ACJ said...

You're an inspiration. Truly. I have 3 10 x 12 and 2 10 x 6 raised beds that have gone empty the last two years. Well, except for what was planted by our sharecroppers (friends without enough sun). I'm gettin' back in it. You keep letting me know what's next...

Nadia said...

If you can get your hands on, and you like eating garlic...now is the time to plant that. Plant it and throw some leaves over it for mulch and next summer, fresh garlic is yours. I'll keep you posted in the spring.