Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Music Literacy.

Music is something that I love. All different kinds for all different moods. I clearly remember debating as a teenager whether or not I could become a Christian because Christian music was SO HORRIBLE!

Really. For a while there it was Jesus or Hip Hop. Don't judge me, I was sixteen.

It took me a while to come to Jesus, but I've never lost my love of music. And I tried to incorporate Christian music by going cold turkey on all my other music. But there is only so long one can listen to Amy Grant, Petra or Michael W Smith crooning "Friends are friends forever if the Lord is the Lord of them....." before one's ears start to bleed and you go into withdrawal.

I grew up listening to an assortment of music, everything from Harry Belafonte, to Bob Seger, to Crystal Gale and Bob Marley. My taste in music is just as eclectic. And this was never more evident than this weekend...

I had put my Ipod on while I was cleaning and the girls were playing. For a solid hour I listened as they sung along to the songs playing. Here is a sample of artists they sung with:
John Legend
Ingrid Michaelson
NeedtoBreathe
Sara and Tegan
Jesus Johnson
Sanctus Real
This Old Mountain
Gomez
Chris Tomlin
Young Artists for Haiti
Fisher
Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
Matt Redman
ABBA

And I realized just how much:
1) I love to hear my girls sing, especially Pookie. She has an amazing voice.
2) I value music literacy in my life and in my girls.
3) Better Christian music is now...thank God for His mercies to me...

2 comments:

Megan said...

I just had a hilarious memory of riding in the back of your car with Jai (I have no idea where we were going) with Gangster's Paradise (or is it gangsta's paradise) blaring out the speakers!

Nadia said...

Yep...cause I'm cool that way...