Friday, October 15, 2010

A throwback to Oct 15, 2005


I woke up at my parents' house at 7 am, heaved me and my belly out of bed and into the bathroom. Noticed "the plug" in the toilet and knew what was coming.
Breakfast at 8 am and the pain hits fast.
By 8:15am Hubby and I are heading home to pick up my hospital bag, leaving Pookie with the grandparents.
9:30am tried to take a shower, but couldn't stand up, off to the hospital we go. By 11am we are into our room and doula and doctors are nowhere to be found.
Frantic nurses trying to slow down my labour, 11:30 Mary, my doula arrives. 11:45am, nurses have to take care of Hubby who is beginning to faint. Hubby, on the floor drinking my juice for strength.
Noon, my body starts trying to push the baby out, my doctor is still MIA.
12:15, the nurses discover I'm Strep positive, an ugly situation with trying to get an IV in.
12:30, doctor finally arrives, announces that the baby is huge and it's gonna hurt.
12:43, I decided to NOT have this baby...slight panic attack at how fast this is all happening.
12:51, a beautiful baby girl with black curly hair and bright blue eyes arrives

12:54, the anesthesiologist arrives to give me an epidural.

My beautiful baby Bear, my life has never been the same. I love you!

5 comments:

kelly ens said...

happy 5th birthday to Bear.

thanks for nothing, anesthesiologist...

Nadia said...

I know. I remember laughing slightly hysterically when he showed up!

Lisa said...

Great story! Although I could have done without one or two lines in there.

I remember with Connor turning into one of those evil spirits from the horror movies as I squashed my nurse's hand and demanded an epidural... She pretended to call but I know she didn't! Anesthesiologist never made it.... Ah, memories!

Nadia said...

Lisa, it is a fine line between story telling and TMI...a line I step over frequently!

Hannah said...

I always appreciate an honest account of giving birth, having never done it myself.