Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Pretty





Slam Poetry is a unique art form. Some of the most powerful messages I've ever heard have been in and through this genre. This message of "Pretty" ranks in the top 3.

I think I resonate with this poem so strongly is because:

1). I'm a woman in this world
2). I am being entrusted with raising 2 daughters

By far, the line that struck me the hardest is when she says, "and now I haven't seen my face in 10 years" (after her mom makes her have plastic surgery).

Personally, I've never considered myself 'pretty or cute'. I'm sure there is a deep seated pysch issue there. Or it may be just the fact that the pretty girls didn't look like me, or me like them. I have attached other positive descriptor words to myself at times, but never pretty....I hear my girls ask me, when they dress up, "Mom, do I look pretty? or Mom, do you think I'm pretty".

From now on, I am going to say, "Yes, you are pretty beautiful. You are pretty smart. You are pretty Awesome!".

Because I want to raise, pretty intelligent, pretty tall, pretty funny, pretty beautiful, pretty wonderful women, who I will proudly call my daughters.

4 comments:

Beth said...

That's a great one. Here's one of my favorite beat poets, Anis Mojgani:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATC5OGh3adg&p=1A9969B2BFB35684&playnext=1&index=29

Nadia said...

Hey Beth,

I couldn't get the link to work. Which poem is it?

Nadia said...

OH, got it. And liked it.

ACJ said...

I think this will have to be added to my Things To Blog About list because I have more than a comment's worth of thought on this one. But in case I forget, the gist of it is, I thought this was more about being unforgiving than about being pretty. "Pretty" is a silly ideal, but not in and of itself, Bad. However, passing on Not Enoughness to your daughters (or sons) - now that's the sh*ts. Her mother could have told her she wasn't smart enough, or not artistic enough, not graceful enough - no matter the deficit, the noticing and pointing out was the pain.

I have ideas about what makes for pretty, and about how important (or not) pretty is. If I screw it up, well, quelle surprise, add it to the list. But I think it will be Heavens' Wrath if at 26, my daughter can only say to a room full of people, that the only thing she knows for sure is that she wasn't Enough For Her Mother in any category.

I sure do like slam poetry though. I should find more. All that word play and fluency? Amazing.