Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Conversations with a 7 1/2 year old.

Pookie has made a good friend at school. A friend whose family raises 'fancy' rabbits and Pookie was excited to see their new litter. When she got home she was very eager to tell us ALL she learned about rabbits.

Let me set the scene. Pookie and I were sitting on the couch together with Hubby sitting in a chair to the side, basically behind Pookie so I could see his face but she couldn't.

Pookie: Mom, do you know how baby rabbits are made?

Me: Umm...how about you tell me?

Pookie: OK, you take a girl rabbit and put in a cage with a boy rabbit. Then you wait 5 or 6 minutes. (Picture a look of horror on Hubby's face right here)

Me: 5 or 6 minutes?

Pookie: Yep. Then there are babies in the girl bunny and it takes a whole calendar month for bunnies to be born. They are pink and cuddly.

Me: Sounds like you learned a lot about bunny making.

Pookie: Yeah, I loved it.

Y'all, I know there was a huge teachable moment here. A chance to talk about sex, love, marriage, babies, waiting. But I was a coward. A big fat coward. I was waiting for Pookie to ask any or all of the following questions:
  • Did it take you and Daddy 5 or 6 minutes?
  • Do you have to be married to have babies?
  • What about X & Y who are trying to make a baby, but they are not married?
  • What about W & Z who are both girls/boys, how do they make babies?
She didn't ask and I felt like I dodged a bullet. I love conversations with my kids.

4 comments:

kelly ens said...

HA - i would have chickened out too :) interesting conversation indeed!

ACJ said...

I thought we were only supposed to answer the questions they ask? Wasn't that the right thing? You could have wrecked bunnies for her...

Nadia said...

ACJ - I agree. Talking to kids about these kinds of things is like talking to border guards...only answer the questions they ask. I think that will be rule #23 in my parenting handbook.

Nadia said...

Also, I'm thankful that the girls are being raised in an environment where these questions are natural; because we have these friends who are on different journeys to parenthood. I certainly didn't, and I think our kids are richer for it.