Monday, January 24, 2011

Melatonin hangover?

This morning I woke up, got up and promptly fell down. My head felt 10 sizes bigger than it actually was and was spinning so fast I literally could not figure out which way was up. It took an hour to get up, with stomach churning. Thankfully the girls were amazing and very helpful this morning. The biggest test came when I was faced with getting them to school. Walking was out of the question and driving seemed pretty risky. However, we drove slow and the long way around and no problems...until I got home to notice that Pookie, in her desire to help, actually did not pack her lunch in her backpack. Back into the van and another slow round trip. Then back to bed till it was time to pick up the girls.

The only thing I could chalk up this sudden vertigo to was the fact that I'd had a cup of warm milk and a dose of melatonin. I've taken melatonin before and have woken up slightly heavy headed before, but this was a whole new level. Hubby is convinced that it wasn't the melatonin, but I don't know...sudden vertigo for no good reason?? That may be more frightening than never taking melatonin again.

As I was in bed cursing the spinning room I had time to ponder the whole reason I took melatonin in the first place. One of the side effects of having S.A.D. is that you can suffer from insomnia. Or in my case, the waking up every 1 - 1 1/2 hours for a period of time. I'd hoped that melatonin would be a more natural way of helping me sleep.

So, tonight, no melatonin, but a cup of sleepy time tea (which is incredibly hard to drink since I'm more of a Tetley drinker with milk and sugar). I'm not real hopeful, but anything is better than this melatonin hangover.***

***If this post makes no sense, I blame the fact that I can only look at the screen for 30 seconds at a time***

4 comments:

Giraffe In The Sity said...

Melatonin can have this affect as your body naturally secretes it when the "appropriate" time comes in the day, it then builds up in the body to a level that results in drowsiness and fatigue. But by the time you wake up the level is near undetectable (gone) and your alert again. I think you took far too much. 0.3 milligrams was shown to be effective for adults. The thing is melatonin affects other parts of your body not just sleep, so be careful with it, I hope you can find the right balance.

Unknown said...

I'm experiencing what you described right now. When I get anxious and can't sleep, I occasionally take 0.3 mg of melatonin. Last night I read that 1-3 mg was a typical dose, so I took 1.5 mg. I sleep well, but this morning I woke up this morning with a splitting headache, dizziness and nausea. I also had to drive a child to school, so I rested for an hour and then drove slowly. I was awake and alert, but nauseous while driving (ugh). Now, five hours after waking up, I'm still feeling blah and getting muscle cramps to boot. Wow, a melatonin hangover is a real thing.

Tracy said...

I'm feeling what you described right now. I'm Googling to see what the heck I may have done "wrong."

I took 600mcg of melatonin last night (300mcg never seemed to do much) at 11pm and slept like a rock for 6 hours (very vivid dreams). I woke up at 5am but it wasn't time to get up yet. Even so, I woke up ravenous, ate some toast and went back to bed.

When the alarm went off at 8:15, there was no way I could get up. I went back to sleep and woke up at 9:30 (at this point I HAD to get up). I felt like someone waking up from anesthesia.

I got up thinking the feeling would wear off but I feel so horrible I need to go lay down. I'm dizzy, nauseous, have a pounding headache and feel like I'm drunk. No way I could drive or even take a walk right now. It's hard to even type this.

I hope I can sleep the rest of this off. I have so much to do today.

Unknown said...

Yeah I have somnolence too. I took 10 mgs at 330am . Big mistake I made. It's got to wear off I guess. It feels like a hangover. Kevin