Monday, January 10, 2011

Making school lunches

I've been lucky this fall that Jackie has loved making the girls' lunches for school. My job was just to stock the house with good options. It is my preference to give the girls good, healthy options. But the immature part of me also wants them to have fun lunches, unlike the lunches I had to take to school. I remember begging my mom for pudding cups, candy, chips, just anything that was cool and fun.

Never happened. Ever. Until I went to college and my parents simultaneously discovered Costco. Only 10 years too late for me...

Now, I'm not really one to buy the girls prepackaged treats like jello cups or packaged rice krispies...but I am willing to make rice krispies treats and jello cups at home for them to take; a lot cheaper and a lot less wasted packaging.

So, in my flurry of housecleaning, grocery shopping and general 'getting ready for the week' busyness yesterday, I made jello cups. And I discovered my limits for jello...Apparently lime jello is over the line for me. It is bright green, smells sickly and with one look you just know that there is no redeeming quality in it. However the squeals of joy that Pookie and Bear produced upon seeing them go into their lunch boxes this morning was well worth it.

No traumatic lunch box memories for them I tell ya!

No comments: