Thursday, January 20, 2011

I'm no Chinese mother.

I realize that I'm a bit late to the game, but I actually had this post sitting in my drafts for about a week. While reading one of my favorite mommy bloggers, Dooce, I linked to this article about Chinese mothers. All I can say, is OH MY.

If you haven't read it, go read it now. Really. Then come back to this post....

OK, crazy right??!!?? I am such a lightweight when it comes to mothering. I can barely do 15 minutes of spelling homework, never mind hours and hours of drilling 'boat, float, coat'.

Today I was chatting with a friend during her break from her class. She said she could barely make it through the article because it brought up all her emotional baggage of growing up with a Chinese mother....though just a few moments before she was bemoaning the fact that piano and violin lessons were so time consuming for her kids. Another student joined the conversation. She is a recent Chinese immigrant trying to navigate child raising here in Canada. She hadn't read the article, but admitted that it is a struggle to understand the differences.

I have to admit. Some of what she says makes sense. I do think we are overly concerned about our children's feelings. And I do think we overpraise for mediocre work, though you'd never find me ripping up a homemade card from my girls. But the reality is that I could never put in the sheer amount of time it would take to be a 'Chinese mother'. That's hours of threatening, begging, yelling, stomping, driving, working and spying. It sounds exhausting.

I may not be a Tiger Mother, but I am a Mamabear.

2 comments:

JD said...

if you were a tiger mom I wouldnt live you, straight up!

Quiet Monster said...

Oh My is right! Wow. You can motivate kids without insulting them. I agree that we should never let kids give up, quit, or never try-isn't there some character building in teaching them that they are not better than the next person, that encouraging others to excel rather than shutting them out is what we are supposed to do??? You are a great mamabear! Don't let some tiger cause you to doubt the time you spend on spelling lessons:)