Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A new commute

This week I'm taking a course downtown Vancity. Now, driving from the village to the big city is foolish for lots of reasons:
  1. There is one tunnel and 4 bridges between here and there.
  2. It cost $25 a day to park there.
  3. Gas is $1.20 per litre
  4. It is not very relaxing to try and figure out exactly where you need to be during rush hour.
Taking into account all these good reasons, I decided to drive to the nearest Skytrain station and train in it. So, I parked and paid $2.50 as opposed to $25, bought my train ticket and went up to the platform to wait on my train.

My first clue that this commute wasn't going to be friendly was when a woman decided that the 2 inches between me and the front of the platform was exactly where she was going to stand. OK....no problem, just needed to make sure I didn't bump her into the oncoming train. When the train pulled up, I literally thought I'd be crushed in the madness of getting on. Like this was the only train going into town and if we didn't get on it we were D.O.O.M.E.D! I managed to secure a place near a pole, key for stability. At first I had a nice little 1 foot personal bubble space. By the time I got to my stop, it had shrunk down to 1 cm. And no one smiles in the morning! They all get on, refusing to make eye contact, pushing and shoving to find a spot and then stand in silence. Or in the case of the guy in front of me, listening to really loud Arabic music on his Ipod.

Really, it was a fascinating time of people watching....of course now I've also got a new strategy in regards to finding a spot on the train for tomorrow too!

3 comments:

Jay said...

my hubby rides the train, I am sure he would smile back for you if he was awake, haha.

Lisa said...

Just sit on one of their laps... I'm sure you'll see a sign of life that way! Or at least you'll find a seat.
Sounds like a blast!

Nadia said...

I made a tactical error today by sitting in a seat that faced the wrong way. I still feel nauseous!